Saturday, June 22, 2013

Promising Irfan smashes discus record but misses target

Saturday June 22, 2013

KUALA LUMPUR: Teenager Mohd Irfan Shamsuddin took up discus two years ago.

And yesterday, the burly 19-year-old Seremban-born Irfan served notice of his arrival on the big stage when he hurled the discus to a distance of 49.81m – breaking the national record of 49.33m set by Ngu Kit Min of Sarawak in the Malaysian Open in Penang in 2006.

Just two weeks ago, at the Federal Territory Open, he hurled the discus to a distance of 48.12m to better his old mark of 47.20m.

Despite improving on his personal best by more than a metre yesterday, Irfan is still not satisfied.

"My target was to surpass the 50m mark and qualify for the Myanmar SEA Games in December. But I failed," said Irfan, who won the Sukma (Malaysia Games) gold in Kuantan last year.

"It's harder than I thought (surpassing the 50m). But I'll keep on trying."

The qualifying mark for the SEA Games is 50.56m, which is the silver medal effort of the 2011 Games.

Irfan will be competing in two more events this month – the Asean Schools Games (from Monday) and the Hong Kong Open (next weekend).

"It's hectic but I'm confident of doing well in both meets," said Irfan, who is coached by Fero Petrovic of Slovakia.

"Last year, I won a silver medal in the Asean Schools Games in Surabaya. This year, I'll go all out to win the gold and improve on my personal best.

"I also want to win the gold in Hong Kong," added Irfan, who will begin his Business Adminis-tration studies in Universiti Malaya next month.

Monday, June 10, 2013

SHOOTING: Benjamin steals the show

SHOOTING: Benjamin steals the show

By Ajitpal Singh | ajitpalsingh@mediaprima.com.my 


CRACKSHOT: Junior outguns father Edward to win double trap gold in record fashion

BENJAMIN Khor used to polish his father, Edward Khor's shotgun after competitions but the roles have been switched as the 20-year-old is now a better double trap shooter.

Benjamin once again dethroned his father at the Tun Hanif Omar Trophy yesterday by setting a record in the preliminary round en route to winning his second title of the season.

Under the new International Shooting Sport Federation format, each shooter has to shoot five series of 30 targets in the preliminary round and random schemes are used to determine the target combinations.

Benjamin soared high by hitting 127 targets at the Subang Shooting Range yesterday.

He also shot well in the semi-finals, posting 24 points before edging Ho Chee Fai 26-24 in a thrilling final over 30 targets.

Tan Tian Xiang, who held the previous national record of 111 hits, finished third. Edward was placed fifth behind Nazree Ismail.

Benjamin won his first title of the season under the new format at the Sultan Iskandar Trophy in April after failing to make an impact in the Ally T.H. Ong a month earlier.

A bronze medallist at the 2010 New Delhi Commonwealth Games, Benjamin, who is studying A-Levels in Singapore, was down with sinus and had to go for surgery in March.

Edward, 52, jokingly said he now cleans Benjamin's shotgun and attends to his needs in competition.

"I am a proud father. Benjamin is now the star ... what my son used to do for me ... I am now doing it for him. The last time I did better than my son was at last year's Singapore Open," said Edward in Subang yesterday.

Benjamin, who is now under the National Sports Council's (NSC) back-up programme, is using this season to adapt to the new format ahead of next year's Glasgow Commonwealth Games and the Incheon Asian Games.

"I will take a short break after completing my A-Levels next year to prepare for both competitions. As for this year, I will participate in three international meets -- Thailand Open, Asian Shotgun Championships and the Southeast Asian Championships in October.

"My sinus got worse earlier this year and I had to go for a surgery. I am doing much better as I can now focus on competitions," said Benjamin.

Benjamin is hoping to make his debut in the ISSF World Cup Series next year.

"I am not far off the elite shooters. While they are recording 28 hits, I am doing 26 consistently. I must thank NSC for sponsoring my training and competitions. I will repay them by making Malaysia proud," he said.

Benjamin plans to move to England next year to pursue a degree in law and train with top class shooters.

"Although I've not selected a university, I will likely choose one which will be near the training centre of Britain's national shooters. I heard they train in Bisley," Benjamin added.

Meanwhile, Ng Beng Chong and Joseph Lee were in their element, winning the trap and skeet respectively, while Nur Suryani Mohd Taibi won her fifth gold in the women's 10-metre air rifle yesterday.

Abdul Hadi Abd Malek broke the new national record of 182.5 in the men's 50m pistol by posting a 188.20 series for the gold, ahead of second-placed Choo Wen Yan (186.0) and Johnathan Wong (162.8).

Armed Forces were crowned overall champions with a haul of 11 gold, six silver and five bronze medals ahead of Pahang (5-5-0) and Perak (4-2-2).



Read more: SHOOTING: Benjamin steals the show - Other - New Straits Times http://www.nst.com.my/sports/other/shooting-benjamin-steals-the-show-1.297121?cache=03%2F7.207953%2F7.207953%2F7.279973%3Fkey%3DMalaysia%2F7.287479%2F7.288063%2F7.288063%2F7.291237%2F7.291237%2F7.291237#ixzz2VoWnrEn0

Benjamin makes dad proud with double trap record

Benjamin makes dad proud with double trap record

By LIM TEIK HUAT


Sharp eye: Edward Khor giving his son Benjamin some tips during the Tun Hanif Trophy shooting competition at the Subang Shooting Range yesterday. — FAIHAN GHANI / The StarSharp eye: Edward Khor giving his son Benjamin some tips during the Tun Hanif Trophy shooting competition at the Subang Shooting Range yesterday. — FAIHAN GHANI / The Star

PETALING JAYA: His father Edward Khor used to rule the roost but how things have changed as younger son Benjamin now has the double trap national record all to himself.

The younger Khor, who was not even shooting double trap when his father Edward won the gold medal at the South East Asia Shooting Association (SEASA) shooting championships in 2007, blasted his way to a new national mark en route to bagging the double trap gold in the Tun Hanif Trophy shooting meet at the Subang Shooting Range yesterday.

Benjamin showed quick agility in adapting to the new format in double trap by hitting 127 in the preliminary round to improve on the previous national mark of 111 set by Tan Tian Xiang at the Ally Ong shooting meet back in February this year.

Benjamin, representing Johor Clay Target, edged Ho Chee Fai in the final 26-17 to win the gold medal.

Benjamin received a dose of good news when National Sports Council agreed to fund him for training and competition expenses.

"I am happy to get the national record. I adapted well to the new format, which puts us in an unknown situation. You just don't know where the targets are going to come from. It can be left or right.

"But all this is part of my training towards the major meets outside the country.

"I will finish my A levels in Singapore next year and I can focus more on preparing for the Asian and Commonwealth Games next year.

"I am also aiming to go for the ISSF World Cups now that I got some funding and am hoping for the best next year," said Benjamin, who hopes to make the grade for the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.

There was a second national mark set at the shooting range with Abdul Hadi Abdul Malek of Pahang scoring 188.2 to win the 50m pistol individual gold.

London Olympian shooter Nur Suryani Mohd Taibi completed her campaign on a perfect note by claiming her third gold medal for Armed Forces.

Suryani, who had won the 50m rifle prone and 50m rifle three-position individual titles earlier, shot a winning score of 204.5 in the 10m air rifle final.

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Elak tragedi berulang - Ahmad

Elak tragedi berulang - Ahmad

Oleh Siti Airunnisa Alaui
sukan@utusan.com.my
Ahmad Said (dua kiri) dan isteri, Toh Puan Norliza Mahmud (kanan) melawat ibu bapa Allahyarham Muhammad Syafiq Imran Syahril iaitu bapanya, Mohd. Syahril Rashid dan ibunya, Tuan Jara Kamariah Tuan Ahmad di Kampung Seberang Baroh, Kuala Terengganu, semalam. Muhammad Syafiq maut akibat dilanggar treler ketika berlatih di Kampung Guntung, kelmarin.

KUALA TERENGGANU - Menteri Besar, Datuk Seri Ahmad Said meminta Majlis Sukan Negara (MSN) meningkatkan aspek keselamatan atlet berbasikal terutamanya ketika latihan bagi mengelakkan tragedi kemalangan maut yang menimpa seorang atlet pelapis negeri itu kelmarin, berulang.

Katanya, tragedi menyayat hati yang menimpa atlet pelapis basikal Terengganu, Muhammad Syafiq Imran Syahril, 15, yang maut akibat digilis treler ketika menjalani latihan di Kampung Bukit Guntung, Tepoh dekat sini kelmarin, seharusnya menjadi pengajaran kepada semua pihak termasuk pihak pengurusan.

Difahamkan ketika insiden itu berlaku, tiada pengawasan dari pihak jurulatih kerana mereka dikatakan berhenti mengisi minyak sebelum kejadian.

Justeru itu, beliau juga meminta semua pihak berkaitan meningkatkan aspek keselamatan terhadap para pelumba ketika latihan bagi menjamin keselamatan mereka.

"Perkara seperti ini sama sekali tidak sepatutnya berlaku. Sepatutnya ada kenderaan di hadapan dan di belakang yang mengawal pergerakan kumpulan ini.

"Saya harap insiden ini dapat menjadi pengajaran kepada semua pihak," katanya ketika melawat keluarga Muhammad Syafiq Imran di Kampung Seberang Baruh di sini semalam.

Ahmad turut menambah, kemalangan berkenaan boleh dielakkan sekiranya semua pihak memainkan peranan ketika berada di jalan raya dan sikap prihatin perlu menjadi tanggungjawab kepada semua.

Jelasnya, pengguna jalan raya juga sepatutnya perlu lebih prihatin jika melihat kumpulan atlet berbasikal membuat latihan dengan memperlahankan kenderaan dan memberi laluan kepada mereka.

Dalam pada itu, Pemangku Ketua Polis Daerah, Supritendan Abdul Halim Mohd. Ishak ketika dihubungi semalam memaklumkan, pihaknya telah mengambil keterangan daripada pemandu treler berkenaan dan pihak polis sedang menyiasat mengenai kejadian tersebut.



Artikel Penuh: http://www.utusan.com.my/utusan/Sukan/20130607/su_06/Elak-tragedi-berulang---Ahmad#ixzz2Vdtc0QJw 
© Utusan Melayu (M) Bhd 

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Rider Firdaus finishes in style to bag two golds in junior events

Rider Firdaus finishes in style to bag two golds in junior events

By LIM TEIK HUAT


<b>Impressive show:</b> Muhd Firdaus Mohd Zonis (right) and Muhd Shah Sahrom in action during the South-East Asian Grand Prix men’s junior keirin final in Cheras Monday. —SHAHRUL FAZRY ISMAIL / The StarImpressive show: Muhd Firdaus Mohd Zonis (right) and Muhd Shah Sahrom in action during the South-East Asian Grand Prix men’s junior keirin final in Cheras Monday. —SHAHRUL FAZRY ISMAIL / The Star
KUALA LUMPUR: Muhd Firdaus Mohd Zonis earned his stripes in style by romping to a double to emerge as the most successful cyclist at the conclusion of the first leg of the South-East Asian Grand Prix at the Cheras Velodrome.
Firdaus, of the national Pelapis squad, rode as the starter to lead team-mates Muhd Shah Sahrom and Asyraf Naim Ying to the men’s junior team sprint title in 1:07.364 yesterday.
Their time was better than the 1:08.213 set by seniors Mohd Edrus Yunos, Mohd Fattah Amri Zaid and Arfy Qhairant Amran, who beat Brunei to the elite team sprint gold medal.
Firdaus went on to avenge his unexpected loss to team-mate Sahrom in the sprint final on Saturday by romping to victory in the keirin final yesterday and take his tally to three golds and one silver.
The 16-year-old Firdaus, who bagged the 1km time trial gold on Friday, was happy to complete his outing on a high.
“I lost the sprint gold to Sahrom on Saturday but I’m happy to come back well today.
“I blocked his path well and now I’ve been told that I’ve confirmed my place for the World Championships (in Glasgow) in August.
“The target was to get at least three gold medals.
“I’ll also be competing in the second leg this weekend and I’m aiming for a clean sweep this time,” said Firdaus, who put up a breathtaking performance at the Asian Cycling Championships in New Delhi in March.
He won golds in the 1km time trial, 200m sprint and keirin to become the second Malaysian after Azizulhasni Awang to claim the junior sprint treble.
Melbourne-based Fatehah Mustapa also lived up to her reputation as the top woman track cyclist after bagging two more golds to take her tally to three.
Fatehah was too powerful for the others as she breezed her way to the women’s elite keirin title ahead of nearest challenger Ummi Hamimah.
Fatehah and Ummi were gifted the team sprint title earlier after Jupha Somnet and Lauretta Eva Adrian were disqualified after twice coming out of the blocks too fast.
Fatehah took the women’s sprint on Saturday.
Shane Perkins, the 2011 keirin world champion, had to concede defeat to Australian team-mate Scott Sunderland in his pet event.
Peter Lewis completed a podium clean sweep for the Aussies by finishing ahead of two South Koreans – Kim Woo-yeong and Park Jin-chul – while Malaysia’s Muhd Edrus Yunos finished last in the six-man keirin final.

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Penantian makin buahkan hasil

Metro
28 April 2013
Oleh NOR HAIRULNIZAM WAHID

Kuala Lumpur: Selepas enam tahun penubuhan Cawangan Pelapis Majlis Sukan Negara (MSN) dengan misi untuk melahirkan kelompok atlet pelapis yang mampu menggantikan atlet elit ke pentas antarabangsa, adakah misi itu sudah berjaya dicapai?

Keinginan untuk melihat pengganti Datuk Lee Chong Wei, Datuk Nicol David mahupun mencipta ramai jaguh baru nampaknya makin mendesak, apatah lagi dengan tuntutan pelbagai kejohanan yang sentiasa mahu diperbaiki pencapaiannya.


Trend itu mula ketara selepas Sukan Asia Doha 2006 apabila pencapaian kontinjen negara pada temasya sukan antarabangsa sentiasa meningkat dan diperbaiki.

"Sejak penubuhan Cawangan Pelapis pada 2007 hingga sekarang, banyak yang sudah dicapai," kata Pengarah Cawangan Pelapis MSN, Jefri Ngadirin.


"Apa yang pasti kemasukan atlet pelapis ke elit semakin meningkat. Berdasarkan rekod 34 atlet menyertai elit pada 2010, 37 (2011), 39 (2012) dan setakat ini pada tahun ini, seramai 36 orang atlet pelapis sudah bergelar atlet elit negara. Kita menjangkakan 40 atau 41 atlet akan menyertai skuad elit.


"Malah atlet pelapis turut memberi sumbangan kepada kontinjen negara ke Sukan SEA. Setakat ini, untuk Sukan SEA Myanmar dua atlet olahraga dan seorang atlet menembak sudah melayakkan diri.

"Dari segi itu, boleh dianggap matlamat penubuhan sudah berjaya dicapai." Melihat nama seperti Arrico Jumith dan Mohd Hafifi Mansor (angkat berat), Haziq Kamarudin (memanah), Nur Ayuni Farhana Abdul Halim (menembak), Siti Zubaidah Adabi (olahraga), Chong Wei Feng (badminton) serta Muhd Arfy Qhairant Amran dan Ummi Hamimah Mohamad (berbasikal), sudah membuktikan program yang diatur berada di landasan tepat.


Begitupun, itu tidak bermakna penambahbaikan tidak boleh dilakukan. Menurut Jefri, beliau mengharapkan lebih banyak kejohanan diadakan untuk memperbaiki prestasi atlet.

Mengakui berpuas hati dengan pertandingan di peringkat antarabangsa, begitupun beliau mahu lebih banyak kejohanan dianjurkan di peringkat tempatan. Ada persatuan hingga kini masih belum menganjurkan sebarang pertandingan.


"Persatuan perlu mengambil inisiatif untuk menganjurkan kejohanan kerana dengan cara itu atlet boleh diberikan pendedahan dan meningkatkan potensi mereka," katanya yang juga pada masa sama mahu melihat lebih ramai jurulatih tempatan dilahirkan.


Selain kekal dengan 19 sukan teras di bawah program pelapis, pihaknya turut memberi bantuan untuk sukan lain membangunkan program atlet pelapis mereka.


"Antara sukan yang turut diberi perhatian adalah lawan pedang dan judo. Selain itu dua atlet turut dikenal pasti dalam acara menembak skeet dan trap yang berpotensi untuk menyertai Sukan Komanwel dan Sukan Asia," katanya.

Friday, March 8, 2013

Junior cyclist Muhd Firdaus Mohd Zonis wins 1km time trial gold in record time


Junior cyclist Muhd Firdaus Mohd Zonis wins 1km time trial gold in record time

By LIM TEIK HUAT


<b>Surprise gold:</b> Muhd Firdaus Mohd Zonis celebrates on the podium with silver medallist Kim Hyeonsook of South Korea (left) and Japan’s Hayato Okamoto.Surprise gold: Muhd Firdaus Mohd Zonis celebrates on the podium with silver medallist Kim Hyeonsook of South Korea (left) and Japan’s Hayato Okamoto.
PETALING JAYA: Muhd Firdaus Mohd Zonis got Malaysia’s campaign in the Asian Cycling Championships off to a cracking start when he bagged the gold medal in the men’s junior 1km time trial in record breaking fashion at the Indira Gandhi Velodrome in New Delhi.
The 16-year-old smashed the championship record of 1:06.493, belonging to Japan’s Hayasaka Shugo, by winning the one-lap discipline in 1:05.758 yesterday.
South Korea’s Kim Hyeon-sook took silver in 1:07.44 while the bronze went to Japan’s Hayato Okamoto (1:07.683).
Firdaus is the second rider to have achieved this feat. Mohd Syahmil Baharom won gold in the men’s junior 1km time trial in the 2007 edition in Korat.
The juniors settled for the lesser medals when the Asian meet took place in Kuala Lumpur last year and Firdaus’ triumph came as a pleasant surprise to the cycling fraternity.
Malaysian National Cycling Federation (MNCF) deputy president Datuk Naim Mohamad hoped that the golden start would boost the cyclists’ confidence for the challenges ahead.
“We also won a gold in the men’s junior 1km time trial a few years ago but the cyclist have not been able to capitalise on that success. We had no outstanding talent in the 1km time trial. Now, there’s hope with Firdaus,” he said.
“We’ll look at grooming him to become a good replacement for Rizal Tisin (a bronze medallist at the World Championships in 2009 and silver medallist at the 2010 Commmonwealth Games).”
There was also joy for Jupha Somnet, who picked up a bronze in the women’s elite 20km points race final.
Jupha, of Perlis, earned 29 points behind silver medallist Minami Uwano (36 points).
Hong Kong’s Jamie Wong raced to the gold medal with 41 points.
Malaysia are also assured of at least silver medals after the men’s elite and junior team sprint combinations made it to the final.
The men’s elite team sprint trio of Mohd Edrus Yunos, Mohd Arfy Qhairant and Mohd Fattah Amri Zaid are up against defending champions China in the final while the juniors face South Korea.